A Smirk Crossed His Face and He Said, “And What are You Going to Do with That?”

There is a group of people—a great big group of people—who get a perverse sort of pleasure from hearing that you are an English major. It is not that these people have any particular similarities across the board, but they have a notion of what it takes to be successful, and, for many, liberal arts degrees don’t fit that notion.
Read more…

Salutations from Me

Hello all! My name is Chelsea McCarty and I am the new EMW writer for this semester. I’m looking forward to keeping you all updated with English Department news and happenings. I wanted to post a brief bio about myself, so that you know a bit about the person behind the posts! I’m not overwhelmingly tech-savvy, but, with my experience having
Read more…

This Is Not a Eulogy: A Profile on Dr. Hunley

By: Sara Ann Alexander As of June 2015, Cherry Hall boasts a new paperback along the shelves reserved for English faculty publications.  Dr. Tom Hunley’s PLUNK is his latest full-length book and just one of the tenured professor’s many accomplishments. According to our own Professor Mary Ellen Miller, “these poems are so touching, so amusing, so fresh and profound in
Read more…

Bad Poetry Alert: “Or is it Summer?”

Disclaimer: As a professional writing student, I write poetry that is—to put it frankly—quite bad. However, it never hurts to try something new. If you want to get better at poetry (like I should), take Creative Writing, Intermediate Poetry Writing, or Creative Non-Fiction in the fall! Or is it Summer? Poetry really isn’t my thing, But sometimes you just get
Read more…

The 10 Best Books I’ve NEVER Read

Hey, English folks! The semester is FINALLY coming to an end! It’s almost that time to put away our textbooks and pull out our favorite pillows because summer is here and we all know what that means: SLEEP! Just kidding. (But really…) Besides catching up on my sleep, I plan on doing a lot of new and exciting things this
Read more…

Warning! Wanderlust Ahead

Dr. Deborah Logan’s students are aware how culturally engaged she is when teaching, but few know how her travels, personal and professional endeavors, and research have shaped her instruction and lectures. Logan remains busy since her arrival to the English Department in 1997. She is one of the most published members of our faculty, having written twenty-five multi-volume books with
Read more…

Need Motivation? Watch this!

As the end of the semester approaches, many of us are…well, quite done with school for the moment. As we boot up our computers to write that 9 page research paper we wonder why on Earth we thought it was a good idea to procrastinate this long. Those of us fortunate enough to be enrolled in multiple English classes have the
Read more…

A New Addition to WKU: MFA in Creative Writing

I met with Dr. Bell during his office hours to talk about the recent development of the MFA program. I expressed to him my surprise and told him how fast it all seemed to happened. “Oh, but it did, it really did,” he said. Dr. Bell is the director of the Creative Writing program at WKU, but this development was in
Read more…

What’s New With Goldenrod Poetry Festival?

Tonight’s the night for all you poetry fanatics! The Goldenrod Poetry Festival is tonight, and the winner will be selected by Saeed Jones from among these finalists: “A Walk After Midnight on Repeat” by Sara Ann Alexander “Coffee and Chai” by Shay Barlow “SomewhereInAmerica” by James Buchanan “John Lennon: A Day in the Rye” by Derek Ellis “Cartoon Ghost” by Kirby Fields
Read more…

~Careers in English~

In ENG 402: Editing and Publishing, Dr. Jones hosts a visiting professional series in order to give students a realistic idea about the career opportunities that are available for English majors. This series has brought in employees Maggie Harris, Mac Kern, and Sarah Slatton from KirkpatrickPrice and editor and publisher, Steve Vest, from Kentucky Monthly.  This Friday, Amy Brack and Amanda
Read more…