browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Goldenrod Poetry Festival: The Winners!

Posted by on March 21, 2013

I’m thrilled to announce the 2013 winners of the Goldenrod Poetry Festival:

1st place: Tracy Jo Ingram, for her poem “Elegy to a Child’s Sleep in the Midnight Hour”

2nd place: Maggie Woodward, for her poem “Six Years Later, a Love Letter”

3rd place: Elizabeth Gatten, for her poem “In a Land Far, Far Away”

apple

Nickole Brown workshopping with Goldenrod finalists.

We began the afternoon with an hour-long workshop with visiting poet, Nickole Brown. The focus of the workshop was the study of the ostraneniye— meaning to defamiliarize. Nickole explained that as writers, our goal is to write about common things in a way that makes them seem new or different. “Children learn the world through their senses,” Nickole said. “And as adults already familiar with the world, we have to learn this all over again.” Nickole tested this by passing around a bag of apples and challenging us to write about an apple as if we’d never seen one before. It was an incredible exercise. As a result, I have a new-found focus on what my goal as a writer should be.

Nickole Brown with the Goldenrod finalists.

me gusta comprar facebook para mejor publicidad y la comercialización social-seguidores.com Entender este servicio y mejorar su atractivo

After the workshop the finalists went to dinner with Nickole and her mother, along with the English Club co-president Jesse Wells and the club’s sponsors, Dr. Hughes and Dr. Rice. We ate at Micki’s On Main and had great food and conversation. It was the perfect way to not only get to know Nickole more personally, but the other finalists as well.

facebook freunde kaufen mit günstigsten Kosten. Auf dieser Website können Sie tatsächlich fblikesmarkt Mit feinsten Unterstützung

After dinner we returned to Cherry Hall to begin the Goldenrod festival. All the finalists read their selected poems and Nickole presented the winners (mentioned above). After the awards ceremony Nickole read from her latest work, a collection of poems in the process of being published. The poems are centered around Nickole’s grandmother, a woman teeming with vivacity and charm even when she lay in the hospital, nearing the end of her life. Nickole’s writing was poignant and emotional but full of wit and humor– an unexpected combination that was beautifully executed. I’ve heard from several professors and students that it was the best poetry reading they’d ever been to, and I completely agree.

nickole

Nickole Brown captivating students and faculty with her poetry.

Чтобы улучшить свои социальные показатели вы имеете возможность купить услугу yt-hits.com/kupit-podpischikov-vk Отличный сервис для для повышения популярности

I want to say thank you to the English club– especially Dr. Hughes, Dr. Rice, and co-president Hilary Harlan. I know how much time and attention you all put into this event, and it would not have gone so smoothly without you. Also, to Nickole: thank you for helping us remember how captivating written words can be. If we ever forget the passion of writing, your poetry serves as the perfect reminder.

-Rachel

6 Responses to Goldenrod Poetry Festival: The Winners!

1. Dr. Angela Jones

Thank you for your Goldenrod coverage, Rachel. A meeting kept me away from this year’s event, and I really enjoyed learning more about it from this post.

2. Seanna Lyn

I hate that I missed this event! Thank you for the details and photos. I’m so glad that it sounds like everybody involved had a great time, and I can’t wait to find some of Brown’s poetry.

3. Rachel Hoge

Thank you both for reading! I hate that you couldn’t make it– it really was an amazing event– but I’m glad you were able to read about here!

4. Elizabeth Alsop

Thanks for posting this, Rachel — those of us who couldn’t be there appreciate it!

5. Gale

It’s actually a great and useful piece of information. I’m happy
    that you simply shared this useful info with us. Please stay us informed like this.
    Thank you for sharing.