Meet the Folks in the English Office as they Bid Farewell to Meg McDonald

Fall 2013 English Office Faculty and Staff

Department Head:

Dr. Rob Hale, Department Head

Dr. Rob Hale, Department Head

Dr. Rob “Rock” (as in Rocky Top) Hale is our Department Head, and has worked for WKU for 5 ½ months. He plans to “relax, work on the house, enjoy my wife and kids, visit my brothers and their families” over winter break.

Fun fact about Dr. Hale: “I’ve shaken hands with Prince Charles, ridden in an elevator with Clint Eastwood, and sat on Lily Tomlin’s lap.”

Composition Director:

Dr. Chris Ervin, Composition Director

Dr. Chris Ervin, Composition Director

Dr. Chris “Loba” Ervin is our Composition Director and has worked for WKU for “4 years, 5 months, and 13 days” (not that he’s counting or anything). His nickname, other than “Loba,” is “Pete Grass,” but you’ll have to have him fill you in on what both of them mean. He plans to “turn a 5.25-pounder into a 7 pounder” over winter break.

Dr. Ervin’s fun fact: “I’m going to win the $400,000,000 Megamillions lottery tonight. My psychic confirmed this just twenty minutes ago. Rob, consider this my retirement notice!”

*Note: I got this quote from Dr. Ervin on Friday, and since no one won, it’s now up to $550,000,000. I assume he has a ticket and we’re rooting for him to win tonight!

Office Associates:

Kimberly Nessler, Office Associate

Kimberly Nessler, Office Associate

Kimberly “Kimber” Nessler has worked in the English department as an Office Associate “since one week into the start of the fall 2002 semester,” which makes her our longest office resident. Along with the nickname “Kimber” (but NEVER “Kim”), she also answers to “Shivers” because, as Kimberly says, it’s “a play on pirate speak, ‘Shiver me Kimbers!’” As for winter break, Kimberly says, “No trips to Wisconsin planned – too cold!!!”

Fun fact about Kimberly: “When the weather is pleasant, you will find me floating down a river in my kayak.”

Tomitha Blair, Office Associate

Tomitha Blair, Office Associate

Tomitha “Tomi” Blair has been an Office Associate for the English department for 8 ½ years. For winter break, Tomitha plans to “skip the country with Chris Ervin’s mega million lottery winnings.”

Tomitha’s fun fact: “When I was 4 years old, our dog had puppies. I proceeded to take the puppies and place them in the coat closet. I grabbed a flashlight, some snacks, and a blanket then proceeded to join them. I fell asleep. No one could find me, the entire neighborhood was looking for me. I remember hearing my mom yell my name, so I walked out onto the front porch, rubbing my sleepy eyes asking, “What?” I’ve blocked out what happened next!”

Student Office Workers:

Anthony Gross, Student Office Worker

Anthony Gross, Jr., Student Office Worker

Anthony “T.J.” Gross Jr. has been a Student Office Worker in the English department for 1 year. He’s an English Literature major with double minors in Nonprofit Administration and Teaching English as a Second Language. He’ll be graduating in May of 2014. For winter break, Anthony plans to “go home to Louisville and return to the English office for Winter Term.”

Fun fact about Anthony: “While traveling in London, I nearly broke my toe on a light post and had to sit in King’s Cross Station in 40-degree weather for 8 hours while my friends toured the city. The silver lining? Harry Potter probably did something similar at some point (unfortunately Hermione wasn’t there to fix my toe).”

Meg McDonald, Student Office Worker

Meg McDonald, Student Office Worker

Meg “Princess” McDonald has been a Student Office Worker in the English department for 1 year. She’s an Elementary Education major who’ll be graduating in May of 2014. Over winter break, Meg is “moving back home to Louisville for a short break before student teaching starts!”

Fun Fact about Meg: “Before this job, I worked as a cow mascot at Chick-fil-A only I was too short for the real cow, so they ordered me a Little Girl Cow costume. She had a dress and bow. True Story.”

Ann Reagan, Student Office Worker

Ann Reagan, Student Office Worker

I’m Ann “Arizona” Reagan, and I’ve worked one semester in the English department as a Student Office Worker. I’m an English major with a concentration in Professional Writing and a minor in Computer Information Systems. I’ll graduate in December of 2014. I plan to take some really great naps over winter break! I’ll be back in the office doing web stuff for winter term – if my recent call to report for jury duty on January 7th doesn’t get in the way!

Fun fact about me: My first job was as a performer at Guntown Mountain. One of my gunfighter characters was an outlaw named “Arizona” and the name kind of stuck. I liked being an outlaw, except the good guys always won, which meant I was shot (and usually killed) multiple times a day.

Meg’s Last Day in the Office:

Meg got balloons and lunch from Mercadito Hispano on her last day in the office.

Friday was Meg’s last day working with us, and we all sure will miss her. She’s got tons of adventures in store, though, so we’re very happy for her.

Here’s what she’ll be doing between now and graduation:

“I’m going back to Louisville for 12 weeks to do my student teaching at Farmer Elementary in 5th grade and Kindergarten. Then, I’ll be spending a month in Quito, Ecuador for my student teaching abroad!”

Here’s what she had to say about working in the English office:

“I have LOVED my time working here. I’m truly grateful for all the laughs I’ve had in this office over the last year. I will definitely miss my coworkers!”

We’ll miss you, too, Meg. You’re the coolest non-English person we know. All of us in the English office wish you the best in your future endeavors and hope you’ll stay in touch. And most of all, have fun!

4 thoughts on “Meet the Folks in the English Office as they Bid Farewell to Meg McDonald